Sunday, January 2, 2011

Chivalry and character...

Chivalry can be defined as having the sum ideal qualities of a knight (*snicker*) whereas character can be distinguised from being a character.

I myself always make the effort to hold the door ajar for a woman (of any age really), simply because it's the polite gesture to make. Sure it's often not acknowledged (whereupon I loudly proclaim 'you're welcome'), but it's something I believe in and will continue to do. Same goes for holding out a chair, walking on this inside of a sidewalk (did you remember that one?) and offering my hand as she exits a vehicle or raises out of a chair.

This post has its origins in an article I've just read entitled Don’t sweat it, guys: Chivalry ain’t chauvinism, again by the Gloabe and Mail's columnist Micah Toub.

His provocative opinions in the area of relationships is appealing to me. Not that I necessarily agree with everything he argues, I simply enjoy the fact that the subject is being presented in the first place. Old fashioned? Unappreciated gestures? Bah!

For example Toub posits the onus is on the male to make the appropriate overtures on that most stressful of days known as Valentine's Day. I wholeheartedly disagree! Why shouldn't/couldn't your woman participate instead of sitting back and waiting for the proverbial dozen roses and bottle of Chardonnay?

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment