Saturday, January 1, 2011

If you dare...

Came across this Globe and Mail article entitled - The eternal appeal of the femme fatale; by author Micah Toub. I'm just now reading some of his work and find him to be a good read...

At any rate, in this article he asks why we run after women we should be running from. I won't group myself under the banner of 'we' in this case as I've been known (on more than one occasion) to actively pursue the intelligent/witty/sultry full-blood passionate woman... phew... out in a gathering.

Just thinking of the initial flirtation gets my pulse racing.

Some of you right now are smiling at that admission on my part. Really all I'm doing is acknowledging a shared reality (and why wouldn't I?). Many spend their days ignoring that which is, and miss out on all the fun!

/begin side ramble

Acknowledging those as you pass them on the street. Another example might be speaking to people in an elevator. I always have fun with this one. People are (generally) either engaged at watching the numbers flash awaiting their floor, or the more boring staring at their feet gaze. Not me, I engage them. Speak to people... acknowledge them. Really, that's all people want... to be noticed.

/end side ramble

Many a man will not only shy away from her but will run in the opposite direction. Complete lack of confidence and any sense of adventure. At the same time many a woman are incapable (unwilling?) of being in a relationship with a man, as they've spent most of theirs days with boys. They relish their (false?) sense of power and control and consequently grow incapable of standing on their own two feet.

It's funny (telling, but funny anyways), but, I was sitting in a pub with my woman and the ubiquitous 'buddy' remarks that I should 'take care of your woman'. My reply was that no, I wouldn't... but I'd care for her. 


The difference may be subtle, in reality it is far from it.

And while I humbly admit to cultivating the classic bad-boy look, I must also not so humbly accept this look is seen as the male version of the femme fatale. Ah... gender. Look at someone as a person before seeing their gender and it becomes a whole new ballgame then. Gender just makes it interesting. Okay, perhaps a little more than just interesting. :\


Still, the so-called bottom line is this... every family is dysfunctional and we, are all f00ked up.

Enjoy the ride...

No comments:

Post a Comment